Friday, December 7, 2007

Thankful Motherhood Moments

The Thanksgiving cross country adventure was a success! We arrived to our destination and back safely, we were all in good spirits and the entire family had a wonderful time. After all the preparation, packing, traveling, visiting with family and getting back into the routine of everyday life, I have had time to reflect and give thanks for two great Motherhood moments with each of my young children.

The first event was in the lavatory of a Boeing 727. My daughter needed to go to the bathroom on the second leg of our trip so we crawled out of our seats, waited in line for just a bit and squeezed into the cramped space. We carefully laid out the paper on the seat and shifted our bodies so she could get ready to go. She asked that I hold her up so she didn't fall in. As I crouched in front of her and held her under her arms, our cheeks met and I slowly felt her smile creep across her entire face. My daughter has incredibly big cheeks so it was easy to feel that smile from beginning to end. Her skin felt so smooth and at that moment I realized it had been ages since we were cheek to cheek. Sure, I have kissed her often on her cheek and hugged her close, but our cheeks seemed to miss each other in our showers of affection. I had a flashback of her as a 6 month old where we would be cheek to cheek often and I would hear her sweet coos as she would drift to sleep. I vowed to incorporate more cheek affection in the future. This peaceful mile high moment required no words and left an imprint of complete bliss on my heart. I can't wait to go to the bathroom again on our Christmas trip!

The second event did not have such a unique venue but was equally special to me. My son's daycare teacher told me that during his nap another teacher put a warmer blanket on him and he fell asleep right away. Perhaps we could bring him a warmer blanket for his naps. AHHHH - I hate being cold so I had complete empathy for my son who was trying to rest comfortably. I immediately went home, grabbed a down blanket throw and drove it back to school. I put the blanket in my son's designated spot before I approached him at school. I just kissed him and said that I brought him a warmer blanket for his nap. His face lit up and I got a great big hug. It was the conversation at home that evening that warmed my heart. When my son got home that day, he saw me in the living room and I could see in his face he remembered the blanket delivery at school. He smiled at me and said, "You brought me a warmer blanket at school today." I asked him if he was warmer during his nap. He smiled and responded like before by saying, "You brought me a warmer blanket at school today." "Yes, and were you warmer during your nap?" He now is beaming and repeats his sentence. At that moment I realize that yes, his nap was warmer but not because of the blanket. My simple act of coming back to school just for him, and only him, left such an impression on him that I know his nap was full of excitement and content since the blanket he was wrapped in was a special delivery from mom.

There are daily Motherhood Moments that fill our hearts and thrill our children. Taking the time to recognize these beautiful times in the actual moment is the ultimate challenge for any mother. I am thankful to have had two of these moments to help keep me creating and recognizing more.

No comments: